Checkup (Comprehensive Exam)
The team at Manhattan Dentists, PC believes that thorough examination and diagnosis is the key to successful dental health. Intra-oral photographs and digital x-rays are important factors in discovering your health. Together you and your doctor will review your complete dental health.
The in-depth examination includes, but is not limited to: evaluation of every tooth, check for cavities, and the condition of surrounding gums and bone; smile cosmetics; occlusion (or bite); teeth wear and/or bruxism; facial muscles; temporomandibular joint (TMJ), nutritional risk.
Your comprehensive exam ends with recommendations of personalized treatment options to keep your smile healthy and happy.
Oral cancers are treated more easily if detected early.
Our dentists complete oral screenings on all patients as a part of your comprehensive exam and routine checkups. The oral exam is to ensure your mouth is free of pre-cancerous or cancerous lesions.
According to findings of the American Cancer Society’s on oral cavity and oropharyngeal cancers in the United States:
- The incidence of floor of the mouth, lip, oral, and oropharynx cancers have steadily been increasing over the last few decades.
- An estimated 5-year survival rate can range from 20% to 93% (varying with location and type of oral cancer)
- Current recommendation is that people, especially those at higher risk, take an active role in the early detection of these cancers by doing monthly self-examinations
- These cancers are more than twice as common in men as in women.
- There is increased risk with tobacco use of any kind (cigarettes, cigars, pipes)
- There is increased risk with use of smokeless tobacco (chewing tobacco, snuff, betel quid, and gutka)
- There is increased risk with excessive alcohol consumption
If cancer is suspected, Manhattan Dentists, PC may recommend further examination (such as an ADA approved Brush Biopsy exam) or evaluation a dental specialist.