Night Guards (Occlusal Guards)
Protect your smile with occlusal guards. Meticulous dental diagnosis is the first step to preventing future dental problems.
An occlusal guard, or bite guard, is a protective device that covers the teeth. Occlusal guards are custom-made mouthguards that are vital in preventative dentistry. Occlusal guards are most often worn at night and therefore also known as night guards.
Occlusal guards can reduce damage to teeth related to poor tooth relationships or excessive forces. Bruxism (teeth grinding) and teeth clenching can seriously damage teeth. If you notice that you grind or clench your jaws, you may already have dental wear and could benefit from a bite guard.
Occlusal guards are often used in decreasing the symptoms of TMD (See TMJ Disorder for details). Headaches, migraines, jaw pain, etc may be reduced with regular use.
Occlusal guards may also be recommended to protect any cosmetic dentistry that has been completed.
TMJ imbalances often include the following:
- Being aware of teeth grinding or clenching (either at day or night)
- Someone has told you they hear you grinding your teeth
- Uneven teeth surfaces (comparing left to right)
- Teeth look shorter than they once were
- Flat tooth edges
- Pain near TMJ or jaw joint
- Unexplained headaches or migraines